Wednesday 9 December 2015

Monologue

You know when you’re ready to tell someone a piece of bad news and have gone through every possible scenario in your head of how you badly they might respond to the situation-well it wasn’t like that at all. After having told my children that our local library was coming to a close, the house just seemed a lot livelier. The only sort of reaction I got out of them was a shrug and a puzzled face from George- and even that wasn’t intended because it took my son time to comprehend that the library wasn’t an actual myth. I mean I didn’t understand, I was sure at least Jenny was a bookworm. She’d manage to take out 8 books a week! But then in the end she just admitted she used it as free bragging rights to insist she knew more about the rainbow magic fairies than her friends did. I guess they cared less and I more than I thought I would. But that’s not even the problem. How was I going to pay for all my children’s resources if I’m the only parent in the house. I’m going to have to save up on one of those iPod screens aren’t I? Or one of those- what do you call them-..kindles. All my life, I’ve tried to bring up my kids without having to rely on the evolution of technology and what do they do-shut down its ancestor of knowledge. I’m telling you, if Dickens knew about this, he would not be pleased.

I was given the circumstances of a single mother with two children and had to use it as my stimulus to write a monologue in relation to the closing down of libraries. I mention two children, one a 6 year old girl and the other a ten year old boy/ I researched the types of books that a girl of that age might enjoy and went through best-sellers, popular suggestions etc. One of those books was the 'Rainbow Magic Fairies' book series, which I thought would be perfect for a younger girl. In addition I was aware of the book series as it was very popular when I was a child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment